Monday, January 9, 2012

RETURN OF WINTER ON THE WAY!

Good afternoon! :) Thanks for checking out my blog! We have some great weather out there today! Enjoy today and tomorrow, as winter makes a BIG comeback later this week, as the pattern *may* turn more wintry in the coming weeks.

An area of low pressure will bring rain to parts of the state Wednesday. Most of it will be south of I-70.


As the low pressure lifts to the northeast, arctic air will swing in during the day on Thursday. Snow chances aren't looking too good, though. :( Certainly can't rule out flurries/snow showers Thursday afternoon, but really little/no accumulation expected. I'm so sorry snow-lovers!! Here is a look at the GFS Thursday evening:



The bigger story will certainly be the cold air! Check out the GFS for Friday:
GFSx - US - 4Panel - 4day

Highs on Friday will only be in the 20's statewide. The chill will hang on this weekend, as highs stay in the lower-middle 30's.

Long Range Pattern: It's a tough forecast!! Some models keep some colder air in the area next week, as some models show our temps moderating again. It does appear very cold air will move in just to our north next week, but our temps staying near average. As far as snow chances, some models bring a storm to our south late Sunday, but I'm not buying it yet! I do see several shots of precipitation next week, but I'm not too excited about any big snow anytime in our near future. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, just saying what I think! :) Keep in mind, these long-term patterns can change very quickly, so stay tuned! Here is the CPC temperature outlook for January 16-22:
8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

That fits my thoughts of near average temps over the next two weeks, with the cold air setting up in the northern U.S. Precipitation looks to be above average, so we better get some snow!! Something is telling me we're due for the big one, and something tells me February could be an interesting month around here!

Oh, before I go, you have GOT to check out this picture from Valdez, Alaska:


BOTS! Looks like they could share some of their snow with us! Hehe, check back for more updates soon. Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment