Sunday, February 12, 2012

Latest On Tomorrow Night's Snow Chances!

Good evening! Hope you enjoyed today's sunshine, because the forecast for the week ahead is active! That includes the chances for snow. Perhaps enough to shovel/sled/or even make a snowman. Not sure about you.. but my shovel is getting pretty dusty sitting in the garage! Seems like the last several snows have under-achieved, and didn't stick. This one looks different, as it will have an easier time sticking to road surfaces. Anyway, there are tons of winter advisories/warnings to our west. Check out this map:

This image displays watches, warnings, statements and advisories issued by the National Weather Service

Areas across Kentucky/Tennessee/Arkansas may have to deal with icing and snow..making for even worse conditions! The good news is that this will be a snow event for much of Indiana. Now the big question is, when will the snow arrive??

At this point, I am keeping the evening commute dry tomorrow. I think flurries begin by 8pm, then the real stuff begins around 10pm.

Here is the GFS for tomorrow night, showing snow as the precip type for much of the state.



The snow will continue through late morning Tuesday, then taper to flurries/drizzle in the afternoon.

How Much Snow?? I am sticking to my guns of 1-3", with Indy metro getting 1.5-2". So I will go with a general range of 1-3". The best chance for areas seeing 2-3" would be in western Indiana. This forecast could  go up or down ever so slightly, but there is pretty good agreement with this system. With overnight temps in the upper 20's to near 30, I would expect the snow to stick on basically everything, including the roads. I think the Tuesday morning is going to be tricky with a steady snow falling. I do expect enough for some areas to be plowing and shoveling snow. With very little wind, this should be a picturesque snowfall!

I know that the last several events were much weaker than forecast, so let's hope this is the one that over-acheives! If the forecast holds, I think snow-lovers will be happy! More updates on this system tomorrow, and also frequent updates on my facebook page. Have a great night, and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment